WooCommerce product variation is one of the many options available in WooCommerce for product management. This option allows you to set up multiple variations of products, so customers have no trouble browsing and can see all available options on a single product page.
Since this feature can be a great way to manage products on your online store, we have prepared this guide about what is WooCommerce variable products? how to add variable products in WooCommerce? And also picked out some of the best product variations plugins for WooCommerce. So without further ado, let’s get started!
What is WooCommerce Variable Products
WooCommerce allows you to set up different types of products on your site so that you can easily cater to your audience and provide them the ultimate shopping experience. For example, a restaurant website, that deals with multiple food courses, also offers different toppings, flavors, and serving sizes for each dish to their customers. These are all variations of a dish. Customers can choose from the available product variations according to their needs and preferences. Similarly, a clothing store can also provide variations in their clothing size and colors.
Thus, by setting up WooCommerce product variations, you can easily manage products without having to set up an individual product page for each variation and also save your customers from browsing for different options when you can show them all on one page.
We have a detailed guide on WooCommerce Product Grouping. Do check it out if you want to group products in your store.
Steps to Add Variable Products In WooCommerce
Now how to add product variations in WooCommerce? This process requires 4 steps, but before we get started, here are 2 things you need to know. What’s the difference between attributes and variations? And why are we discussing them both together? It’s because before setting up product variations, you need to create product attributes.
Attributes describe the products, such as their material, size, color, and type, whereas variations are options available for each product that a customer can choose from. Such as a shirt is available in 8 different colors, the color is the attribute and the 8 options are its variations and thus customers can pick out any 1 from the 8 options available.
1. Global Product Attributes
First of all, you need to create global attributes on your website. The benefits of creating global attributes over custom attributes are that you can apply it to all or multiple products on your website simultaneously. Whereas custom attributes are created per-product and only useful when a certain product has a specific attribute.
For adding global product attributes, go to WooCommerce > Product > Attributes and add in the name of the attribute. Once an attribute is added, click on “Configure terms” in the newly created attribute section and add in the multiple variations.
2. Select Product Type and Create Product
Next, you need to create WooCommerce variable products by going to WooCommerce > Products > Add new. You will be asked to add in product information like name, description, product categories, image, product tags, etc. Then below, go to the Product Data section, and choose “variable” in the product type.
3. Add Attributes to Product
Once a variable product is created, you can now add the attributes that you created. In the Product Data section of the variable product, click on attributes, and add the ones you have created. You also need to set the value(s) and tick on both the “Visible on the product page” and “Used for variations” and then click on save attributes.
For custom product attributes, follow the same steps but you would need to create the attributes directly in the product data section.
4. Add WooCommerce Variations to Your Products
After adding the attributes to the product, you need to add the variations. Go to the Product Data section and click on variations. You will get an option of “Add Variation”. After clicking on “Go”, you will see multiple fields where you can add the pre-created attributes and set their image, prices, inventory, weight, dimensions, etc. You can customize this information for each variation or use the same for all variations. Don’t forget to save changes before starting on a new variation.
And you are done! You can easily set up variable products in WooCommerce and repeat this process as many times as you like. You can also create bulk variations by going to Product Data > Variations > and choosing the option of “Create variations from all attributes”. This will create 50 variations at a time.
You can easily increase sales from abandoned carts by using these Abandoned Cart Recovery Plugins.
Best WooCommerce Variable Product Plugins
There are many plugins available that can help you add variable products in WooCommerce along with many amazing features to take it to the next level. Let’s check some of the Best WooCommerce Variable Product Plugins available.
- Variation Swatches for WooCommerce
- Yith WooCommerce Color and Label Variations
- WooCommerce Variation Master
- Product Variations Table for WooCommerce
1. Variation Swatches for WooCommerce
This is one of the best WooCommerce variable product plugins available. With Variation Swatches, you can display your multiple variations in the best way possible. You can change the select options of variations into colors, labels, and radio images.
It also enables you to show variations in quick view format and is set up automatically with themes that have the “Quick View” feature as default. Moreover, you can also change the shape of the variation swatches. This plugin is filled with many features, let’s take a look.
- Provides multiple product variation swatches such as labels, colors, and radio buttons.
- The shape of the swatches can also be changed into rounded or squared.
- Displays the variations in Quick View format.
- You can auto-convert all variations into colors, labels, or buttons.
- Provides tooltips for variation swatch hover.
- Compatible with WooCommerce themes and plugins like Elementor Page Builder, WooCommerce Variation Image Gallery, AliDropship WooCommerce Plugin, etc.
To download, click here.
2. Yith WooCommerce Color and Label Variations
With the Yith WooCommerce Color and Label Variations plugin, you can display your product variations in an attractive style and format, thus capturing the customers’ eyes and highlighting the options you have available per product. This also improves the shopping experience and is therefore considered the best product variation plugins for WooCommerce available.
This plugin provides multiple options for displaying your WooCommerce product variations such as select, color picker, text, image, and label. You can also add a short description for each variation and choose to show the variations on the shop page instead of the product page only. This is an extremely easy to use and versatile plugin and adapts to all types of products.
- Multiple options for displaying product variations.
- You can also create an individual image gallery for each variation.
- You can enable the hover effect and change the product image when the mouse is placed over the variations.
- Show variations on both the shop and the main product page.
- Also, adds a tooltip to your attribute variations for additional information.
- Integrates with Yith WooCommerce Wishlist, Yith WooCommerce Compare, and much more.
- WPML compatibility.
To download, click here.
Related Article: 9 Best WooCommerce POS Plugins – Point Of Sale Systems
WooCombinator is another WooCommerce variable products plugin and it changes the default dropdown display options of variations into buttons. This not only gives your online store a fresh look but also makes it easier for the customers to see all the available options and get a finished product according to their preferences.
The WooCombinator supports WordPress Customizer and thus you can easily change the predefined styles and colors or custom creates new styles and see the results in real-time. It is one of the best product variation plugins for WooCommerce.
- Changes WooCommerce default dropdown select options into clickable buttons.
- The plugin can be disabled on selected products.
- Supports WordPress Customizer and enables us to see changes in real-time.
- Consists of 17 predefined styles and 2 transition effects.
- You can create custom style rules.
To download, click here.
4. WooCommerce Variation Master
The WooCommerce Variation Master is one of the best product variation plugins for WooCommerce and enables you to add variable products to your online store and display them in the best way possible. This plugin provides multiple display options like changing the image, text, and color.
This plugin consists of 4 main features like Variation Gallery, Variation Swatches, Gallery slider, and Cart variation update pop-up. The gallery variation enhances the shopping experience for customers by providing attractive visual effects. You can also display the variation swatches on shop, category, and archive pages.
- You can show product variations through images, text, and color.
- You can add multiple images for each variation.
- Shows variation on shop, category, and archive pages.
- It enables you to add the variation swatches globally or individually.
- Customers can also update product variations on the cart page.
- It also adds a border on swatches and shows the text above it.
- Admin can use a combination of the product variations options.
- Compatible with many WooCommerce themes.
- Translation ready.
- Enables the variation of gallery import/export feature.
To download, click here.
5. Product Variations Table for WooCommerce
This WooCommerce variable product plugin changes the default select option settings into a table, thus you can show unlimited product variations in a table format and also add an “Add to Cart” button beside each variation. You can also customize the table layout and add fields like style, color, and size.
The plugin also consists of an Ajax-based search filter which makes it extremely easy for customers to search for a product variation based on price, name, etc. Customers also have the option to print out the variations table. It is one of the best product variation plugins for WooCommerce.
- Converts product variations into a table format.
- Ajax-based search filter simplifies the browsing process for customers.
- Organize your product variations by color, size, and style.
- Customers can add multiple variations at once in the cart.
- Customers can print out the product variation table.
- Choose which attributes will be shown on the table, such as color, price, SKU, etc.
- You can apply the table format globally or remove certain products and categories.
- Mobile optimized plugin.
To download, click here.
WooCommerce is one of the best eCommerce plugins available and that is because it is flexible, beginner-friendly, and consists of unlimited out-of-the-box features. WooCommerce allows you to add variable products to your online store and also provides many plugins and extensions to display these variations attractively. Thus, by using the best product variation plugins for WooCommerce, you can improve your website layout and also improve the shopping and browsing experience for customers.